Wednesday, March 10, 2010

‘Comfortable Lady’ How not to Import a sculpture into Italy

I was recently in South Africa on holiday and I saw a sculpture which I really liked so decided to buy it. They explained that it would be shipped to my nearest international airport in Italy(Florence). I would then have to arrange customs clearance and transport to my home.. how hard could it be. I was not unduly worried as I had shipped something similiar to the UK before and had not had any problems.Well that was the wrong assumption to make.
'Comfortable Lady'This sculpture is in soap stone and is done by a Zimbabwean lady who lives in SA. It weighs 150kg and is going in the garden at some stage. I had a call from the shippers to say that it has arrived and that the they could do the customs clearance for me and transport it to my home.They quoted me a figure which seemed ok plus 10 euro a day storage whilst clearance was taking place but that should not take long. I asked if they would be unloading it and could then put it in the garage. No was the answer, getting it off the truck and into the garage is down to me unless I wanted to pay a lot more for the transport. I then asked if they could at least put it on a truck with a hydraulic lift and I ( and some strong friends) would move it into the garage once it was on the ground.( lets hope I am not being too optimistic here). Fine we compromised on this. This morning another call. The invoice for export from SA stated it is a stone scuplture. Yes thats what it is. Well it should have stated it is simple modern work of art by an artisan sculptor and because it didnt the Belle Arts have to get involved to assess whether it should be allowed in. Well that inspection alone is going to cost me an extra 200 euro in fees but then 10 euro a day in storage until they do it. Obviously now the cost of this whole exercise is in the lap of the gods. Well lets hope for the sake of my overdraft the gods are going to favour me. I will let you know when I have any news.

No comments:

Post a Comment